Respected Criminal Defense Lawyers in Columbus, Ohio Ardently Defending People Accused of Crimes
Navigating the criminal justice system
Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. is a criminal defense law firm in Columbus, Ohio dedicated to protecting the rights of individuals arrested or charged with crimes. We can assist you from pre‑trial investigation all the way through appeals in Ohio and throughout the United States.
At Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A., we encourage you to contact us as soon as a criminal issue arises. Many people are unaware of how quickly the window of opportunity to address a legal problem closes. Do not wait until your criminal charges have been filed. Contact us today.
Our criminal defense attorneys have the legal experience, skills and knowledge to intervene on your behalf during the critical early stages of an investigation. We truly care about the people who come to us for help. We listen to your story, address your concerns and answer your questions promptly and thoroughly. We investigate, provide advice and communicate with government agents and prosecutors. If charges are filed, we prepare and deliver a full and complete defense at trial and, if necessary, on appeal.
Steadfast commitment to protecting your rights and freedom
Our team of veteran trial lawyers is led by attorney David Thomas, who has extensive experience representing individuals and corporations in complicated criminal cases in state and federal court. He is the recipient of the 2015 Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year for white collar criminal defense in Columbus, and is recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer in criminal defense by Super Lawyers Magazine. He is also board-certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Criminal Trial Advocate and is a member of the Columbus Bar Association’s Professional Ethics Committee.
The founding partner of the firm, Bill Meeks, had four decades of experience, with an outstanding track record of winning cases, including the landmark decision of Berkemer v. McCarty, where Mr. Meeks persuaded the U.S. Supreme Court to recognize the right of a suspect accused of a misdemeanor crime to receive a Miranda warning at the time of arrest. Mr. Meeks was a recipient of the Columbus Bar Association Professionalism Award and was listed in Best Lawyers in America in criminal defense. He was also cited as a Ohio Super Lawyer in criminal defense.
Mr. Thomas has worked to continue the firm in this tradition. He has an outstanding reputation among clients and throughout the legal community. He is AV® PreeminentÔ Peer Review Rated by Martindale‑Hubbell® for his high ethical standards and professional ability.
Along with associates Lisa Tome and Kathryn Wallrabenstein in providing effective defense to our clients, the firm’s lawyers bring many combined years of legal experience, skills and tenacity to our criminal defense practice. We are well‑qualified to represent individuals and organizations in high‑profile and highly complex legal matters, as well as in traditional criminal defense litigation. We stand ready to help you.
Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. provides aggressive representation in state and federal courts at all levels of complexity in the following practice areas:
- Criminal defense ― We protect your rights and freedom in complex grand jury investigations, federal conspiracy cases, criminal ethics violations, mortgage fraud, felonies, misdemeanors, gambling, child pornography, child abuse, money laundering, all types of fraud, tax fraud and any other criminal case.
- White collar crimes ― These crimes are non-violent in nature, but typically involve some degree of theft, fraud, deception or conspiracy. In white collar crime allegations, you face not only criminal punishment, but damage to your professional and personal reputation.
- Drug crimes ― When you are accused of a felony or misdemeanor drug crime such as drug possession, distribution or sale, you need Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. to defend you. We investigate your arrest and the constitutionality of the police search.
- Sex crimes ― Because the consequences of being convicted of a sex crime can follow you for the rest of your life, having our aggressive representation is vital. We are here to help you.
- Appeals ― We understand the criminal appeals process and have the experience to handle your appeal in federal and Ohio appellate courts. On this site, you will learn how Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. has helped clients with their appeals.
- OVI-DUI ― The attorneys of Meeks and Thomas have represented individuals charged with OVI for each attorney’s entire career, and all have significant trial and appellate experience in OVI cases around the State of Ohio.
Successfully protecting clients in Ohio
Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. defends clients accused of crimes in state and federal courts in Columbus, the surrounding areas of Ohio and nationwide. Our attorneys often travel to other jurisdictions to defend our clients.
Experienced representation in Columbus, Ohio when you need it most
To find out how we can help you, please call Meeks & Thomas Co., L.P.A. at 614-228-4141 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.